Demo Site

Monday, June 18, 2007

Men and Women

There's a new book that's made the America's Best list..one of them..called The Dangerous Book for Boys. Geared to...you guessed it, boys. Now I could give a shit about gender roles, really. I really don't care. My kids will be whatever they want to be and be happy at it, society's views mean nothing. Boys and girls are different. I'm sorry to break any hearts on the whole equality thing, but we are. And it goes a lot further than boys have a penis and girls have a vagina. Men are better able to perform certain feats better, but then again, women have their own feats they do better. That doesn't make men better than women, or vice versa. We are simply different. Men's bodies are made to do these things, women's are made to do those things. I can admit that simply because, I don't care. Men's bodies are more capable of certain physical activities than females. Females bodies are more capable of certain physical activities than male. It really evens out in the end, and none of it has anything to do with whether or not a girl can work on a car. Quite frankly, I'm a much better mechanic than my husband, even with that one little incident (don't ask). At least I think I am, I'm more apt to fix my car myself, he takes it to a mechanic. But then again, my husband has a much more extensive knowledge of geography and history than I do. It doesn't matter if we're boys or girls, just we have different talents.

One little tangent, you ever notice how some women tend to look down on the homemaker? If this was REALLY about equality, why do some women feel that all women MUST be doing something traditionally male to support the cause? Really, if you feel that men and women are equal and a woman *can* do anything a man can do.....why do you look down on women that do cooking, baking, marriage, kids? You're looking down on that role yourself. So you perpetuate the idea that "women's things" are less than "men's things". When in all actuality, it's all pretty individualized and all very much equal in it's fashion.

So why are we bitching about the book? Just 'cuz Boys is in the title? Who cares. Traditionally these were the guidelines for boys..there is nothing wrong with wanting to give those same guidelines to boys who follow the traditional mode in behavior. If you're a good parent, you've read the book first and are teaching your child where your views separate from the traditional guidelines. And if there are girls that prefer to do more boy type things, then the book serves for them. Again, read the book and tell her where you're own views separate from the book's.

Look people, men and women are different. We aren't capable of quite the same things. I'm sorry. WHEN there is a woman capable, she ought to be able to compete with men and vice versa. But sometimes you people carry it way too far. You have a severe hangup....

0 comments: