Demo Site

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sports, Acting, and Dicks

Something I noticed the other night; apparently it's quite acceptable to be a complete and utter dick in sports and acting. Case of epiphany: Bobby Knight. I don't watch sports, but my husband does....alot. I've heard of this guy before. He's abusive to his players, loses it on a regular basis, is a complete and utter asshole. So I see him on tv and I asked my husband, "Isn't that the guy that's such an asshole?" And he says yes, so I ask "So why is he on tv and still employed?". I ask this because this isn't a case of he's just an asshole, this is a case of he's a fuckin' psycho. My husband says, "Yes, but he's the best basketball coach there is. Do you know how many wins he's responsible for?" So I get to thinking, and that's also the case in acting. You say, boy that (fill in actor's name here) is a real dick (or bitch) and the response will be similar; "Yeah, but do you know how many movies he sells??"

You know, noone says that about anyone else? Noone says "boy that John's a prick, but he's a fireman. Do you know how many lives he's saved?" or "Man, that Sandy is a bitch, but she's a cop. Do you know how many bullets she's taken for people?" Noone excuses the asshole-ness of the regular folk. If John or Sandy act like an asshole then they are just assholes. There's no quantifier. This is only one sign of the complete lack of perception inherent in people. It's completely acceptable for a sports "star"/actor to behave in a completely unacceptable manner, and people will still fawn over them. What is wrong with you people?

0 comments: