Demo Site

Friday, April 27, 2007

Daughter Update

Ethel's comment reminded me I should post an update. We have a plan now.

1. Don't try to go through the school unless they are extremely willing to bend over backwards. If you are in Texas, don't bother. Texas has a minimum requirement for children that are gifted, especially in the 10-13 age group, that is absolutely useless. You're better off on your own.

2. Children over the age of 10 cannot have a proper IQ test done. It's useless for them. They'll max out the test even if they are only slightly gifted. Duke University hasa talent search every year. They help you get your child in to take the SAT. While many of us think SAT and get scared, this is a better measurement of your childs abilities. What they cannot answer tells them as much as what they can. I'll be signing H up for that when it comes around. The score is not a permanent part of their record at this age, unless you call up afterward and specifically request it. However, why? I mean, if your kid can pass it at 12, then it won't be a problem later.

3. If you DO live in Texas, here's a link that finally helped me tremendously: http://www.txgifted.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=36 (Texas Association for Gifted and Talented Advocacy. If you don't live in Texas, here is a link that will help you find your state group if you have one: http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=609&gbs
And here's a wonderful site just full of resources: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/identification.htm

4. Don't, under any circumstances, go beat the living shit out of the school that does not possibly understand what your child needs no matter how much you try to explain it to them. This is really not meant to sound conceited, but they will never understand. Ever. Having a gifted child, no matter how gifted (little or profound) is a whole new entity. The school cannot leave the labeling of children behind, and you are just going to get a headache or go to jail. I know, you'd think noone, especially a school principal or counselor, could possibly be that stupid as to not realize children are all individuals with different needs. Yes, they are, that stupid I mean.



Later, I will set up a special links section with all the wonderful places I'm finding. I tell you, the minute you stop dealing with the school is the minute doors open. If they are being less than friendly, find one of these state advocacy groups, they will tell you waht your state is responsible for helping. Then take that, and MAKE the school help, if you can. If you live in Texas, I'm sorry, our options are extremely limited.

Ethel, I'll never come to New York, too damn cold up there and I can't smoke LOL

1 comments:

Women on the Verge said...

I can't blame you for wanting to avoid the cold... I would too if it were possible :-)

E